Certain tips help control blood pressure in people with hypertension. They include medications and modification of your lifestyle as well as diet.
- Take your anti-hypertensive drugs properly.
- Do moderate intensity physical activities (such as brisk walking, general gardening, or cycling) for 30-45 minutes a day at least five days a week.
- Keep up your Body Mass Index in between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Read labels of foods. Choose low-salt, low-fat, and low-sugar foods.
- Limit your salt intake. It should be less than 2.4g per day.
- Eat more soluble fibre containing foods such as whole grains, green leafy vegetables, fruits, seeds, legumes, and nuts.
- Eat low-fat or non-fat dairy products.
- Limit or stop alcohol consumption.
- Stop smoking.
- Limit meats and poultry. Eat lean proteins such as chicken breast, egg white, beans, fish, and other seafood.
(Photo courtesy: Jasleen Kaur)